Lynn Roy, the mother of Conrad Roy III, has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Michelle Carter, 20, after she was found guilty of involuntary manslaughter.

As reported by The Boston Globe, Roy’s mother filed the suit last month in Norfolk Superior Court and is seeking $4.2 million in damages “caused by the defendant’s negligence and wanton and reckless conduct.”

CONRAD ROY III/ FACEBOOK
CONRAD ROY III/ FACEBOOK 

On Thursday, Carter was sentenced to just two-and-a-half years after sending Conrad Roy, her then-boyfriend, text messages encouraging him to commit suicide. (Carter’s lawyer has said he plans to appeal the verdict.) Throughout the trial, prosecutors argued that Carter should be held criminally responsible for his death because she wanted attention, among other reasons, while her defense claimed she was intoxicatedduring the fatal text-message exchange, and that her antidepressants were responsible for her behavior.

Eric Goldman, Roy’s attorney, also told The Globe that the Roy family plans on creating a fund in his memory. “It’s more to memorialize their son and set up a fund so that he can be remembered for years to come,” he said.

 

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here